altheaann

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
Lois McMaster Bujold
Snow in May: Stories
Kseniya Melnik
The Passage - Justin Cronin Stephen King fans will love this book.
I don't know if he's doing it on purpose, but Cronin's writing is very similar to King's. I feel like his characters and situations are similar; there's the same balance of "ordinary life" and the mundane changed by collision with the horrific.
Cronin also has King's extreme lengthiness.
(This book went on FOREVER.) I often love long books, but when I got to the end of this book, I felt like I'd spent far too long with these characters. It ends on a cliffhanger - but I don't feel the urge to rush out and get the sequel; I feel like I've had enough for the foreseeable future.
Part of this was that, while I felt that the novel was creditably well-written, the ideas and events weren't particularly original or fascinating. Maybe I've just read too many post-apocalyptic novels at this point (NO! Never enough!) - but this just has such familiar scenarios... the experiment that gets out of hand, the zombie apocalypse, the vampire plague... (The monsters here are vampires that are created by a military experiment, in a very Walking-Dead-esque milieu.)
The packaging/marketing for this book is surprisingly sedate. The book itself is much more lurid. It's an odd decision on the part of the publisher, I felt. But I guess it's worked... big bestseller! Maybe people just don't like carrying around lurid covers on the subway these days. But if you're wondering what the book's actually like, I feel that this cover would have more accurately indicated the contents: http://www.fantasticliterature.com/resources/home/FN12.356.jpg