altheaann

Lois McMaster Bujold
Snow in May: Stories
Kseniya Melnik

The Stone Cutter 1st English Translation

The Stonecutter (Patrik Hedström, #3) - Camilla Läckberg This, the third entry into the Fjallbacka series, reminded me quite a lot in feel of John Ajvide Lindqvist's 'Harbor' - but without the supernatural aspects.

As with the previous two books, Lackberg's story centers on a grisly death which, under investigation, turns out to hinge upon the unsavory secrets of the past.

I did feel that this one suffered a bit from too much pop psychology.

One of the characters is described as suffering from DAMP - which I'd never heard of. Turns out it's a concept popular only in Sweden, and describes characteristics which, in America, are more popularly referred to as ADHD. "DAMP" is the concept of Swedish psychiatrist Christopher Gillberg, and I have a feeling that Lackberg did quite a bit of reading up on his ideas for this book, because she also has a character with 'Asperger's Syndrome.' The way he's described sounds more like he's fully autistic, rather than mildly - but his character seems like it was formed straight from Gillberg's description of Asperger's, rather than from Lackberg having ever met anyone like the character.

It's an interesting insight into how even slightly different cultures may perceive issues of mental health quite differently.

It's still a good, solid book - but not quite as good as the previous two.