altheaann

Lois McMaster Bujold
Snow in May: Stories
Kseniya Melnik

The Frangipani Hotel: Fiction

The Frangipani Hotel: Fiction - Violet Kupersmith ATTENTION! Nebula nominators and World Fantasy Award voters! You want to read this book!
Yes, I know it says "The Frangipani Hotel: Fiction." And the cover is ever so tastefully vague and understated. A more accurate title might be: "The Frangipani Hotel: Dark, Lush and Horrific Ghostly Tales of Vietnam." If the cover artist really wanted to reflect the content of the book, there'd be a creepy zombie walking through the fog, next to that quaint boat.

But, Kupersmith is clearly a new young author to watch. She does a fantastic job of melding Vietnamese folklore with the complex, rich realities of the country. Her writing style is graceful, and captures the nuances of horror - using understatement to great effect, contrasting the beautiful with the grisly.

My only complaint is that this collection of short stories is all too brief. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more from this author.

Contents:
Guests
Turning Back
One-Finger
Descending Dragon

Copy received from NetGalley and Random House, which does not affect my review in any way. Thanks!