altheaann

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
Lois McMaster Bujold
Snow in May: Stories
Kseniya Melnik
Confessions of a Young Novelist (The Richard Ellmann Lectures in Modern Literature) - Umberto Eco A short collection of essays/lectures by Eco.
"Writing from Left to Right" describes Eco's decision to write novels, and his writing process.
"Author, Text and Interpreters" talks about intentionality and the difficulties inherent in translation, as well as the tendency to find meanings in a text that were not put there by the author, and when/if these meanings are valid.
"Some Remarks on Fictional Characters" discusses how fictitious individuals can become part of our culture, and how they affect us emotionally.
"My Lists" enumerates the ways in which writers use the literary device of a list of connected (or random) items, and shows that device's effectiveness. (Well done, because usually I find such lists tedious, but this had me almost convinced.)

Eco is a witty and entertaining writer, no matter what topic he is discussing, and therefore this was an interesting read. I'd recommend it for people who have already read his novels.
His comments are occasionally, however, snobbish and condescending. I haven't quite decided if the fact that he is probably completely justified in this attitude makes it better or worse. (Yes, he is more erudite, and likely smarter than me or you.)