altheaann

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
Lois McMaster Bujold
Snow in May: Stories
Kseniya Melnik
The Rook - Daniel O'Malley Um, this book is pretty much the X-Men.
Children with super-powers are recruited, brought to a secret training school, and brought up to be members of a secret spy agency; part of the British Government.

Now, this thing is, if I just read that, I probably wouldn't have bothered to read this book at all. I'm not a big fan of superheroes. However, I really, really enjoyed the book.

Yes, it's a little gimmicky, but I also thought it was very clever, fast-paced and fun.

Myfanwy (Miffany, she doesn't use the Welsh pronunciation of her name)regains consciousness in a field, surrounded by dead bodies, with no memory of who she is. However, information has been left her by "herself" - a woman who knew she was going to lose her memory, who happened to be highly placed in this super-mutant spy agency. Although brilliant, the former Myfanwy was painfully shy and timid. For some reason, the 'new' Myfanwy is bold and assertive - and resourceful enough to make a go of trying to learn about her superpowers and to take her place in the organization without anyone discovering her amnesia. While she's at it, she also has to figure out who the traitor in the organization was who attacked her - and is probably still out to get her.